Purpose and Power of the Holy Spirit – Myles Munroe PDF Summary
- The Holy Spirit is the most important person on Earth and His work is the most important work on earth
- The Holy Spirit is the Governor of the kingdom of God. The work of the governor is to convert the colony to the Kingdom
- There are two primary ways the Governor is reinstated to His place in the lives of humans: new birth and baptism in the Holy Spirit.
- Without the presence of the Holy Spirit, Heaven’s culture cannot fill the Earth.
God had told Adam that if he ate of the tree in the center of the garden he would die. After Adam ate the fruit, He did not die physically but the Spirit of God left him. That was spiritual death.
Genesis 2:7 tells us that man became alive only after God breathed into his nostrils the breath of life. It shows that the life of man is actually the life of God’s Spirit. Any man without God’s Spirit is a spiritually dead man.
This also reveals the true nature of man. Man is a spirit that possesses a soul and lives in a body.
Experiencing the Person and Ministry of the Holy Spirit (Intimacy with the Holy Spirit)
1. Understand the Triune nature of man
Man was designed to be controlled by God’s Spirit through his spirit. The spirit of man is supposed to receive instruction from God’s spirit within him and transfer the will of God to become his will; his will will then instruct his mind and the mind influences his emotions which then pushes the body to take action.
The center of control of man according to God’s design is the spirit of man. But at the Fall of Man, after the Spirit of God had left the spirit of man, man’s soul moved into control and man began to be guided by his senses: his will, his interests, and feelings.
The loss of the Spirit of God is also the loss of the nature of dominion in man since it is the Spirit of God that is the nature of God in man. For man to be restored to dominion as king of the Earth, the Spirit of God must therefore be restored to man.
2. Receive the Person of the Holy Spirit
Christ came to restore the legal access and reinstate the Governor to the colony. New birth, the restoration of the Spirit of Dominion Adam lost, brings back the Governor of the Kingdom into your life and restores you as a citizen of the Kingdom.
You receive the Holy Spirit by firstly, repenting (changing your mind about how you have been living and deciding to live by Heaven’s standards). Secondly, you receive the forgiveness provided through Jesus’ sacrifice.
Once you have gone through these steps, you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit within you. We are also instructed to be baptized in water to show our submission and allegiance to Jesus.
- reconnects human beings to the government,
- restores human beings to citizenship in Heaven,
- reinstates the kingdom on earth through humanity,
- restores inter-realm communication and access to the unseen world, and
- restores the nature of the King within humanity.
3. Receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit
New birth prepares you for Heaven— for connection with the Heavenly government and restoration of relationship with the King, but that is not all with the Holy Spirit. After receiving the person of the Holy Spirit, you must move further to receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit.
The baptism in the Holy Spirit prepares you for Earth — for the restoration of your Dominion assignment to make the earth like Heaven. Receiving the person of the Holy Spirit is like drinking water while baptism in the Holy Spirit is like getting into a pool. They are two separate experiences.
In John 20:22, the disciples received the person but they were not baptized until Acts 2:4.
The baptism in the Holy Spirit…
- restores the power of Dominion,
- restores humanity’s ability to represent the Government,
- enables human beings to prove the King’s claim and demonstrate the Kingdom’s presence,
- gives human beings the ability to display the glory of the King and His Kingdom, and
- gives human beings the ability to demonstrate Heavenly citizenship.
4. Cultivate the character of the Kingdom
Being the Governor of the Kingdom, the Holy Spirit is in charge of producing the Kingdom’s culture in our lives so we can influence the entirety of earth with it. Remember He is the Spirit of Dominion and the nature of God, and the culture of the Kingdom is simply the King’s character.
For us to manifest the character of the King, the Holy Spirit releases the essential qualities that make up the king’s character in us. They are called the fruit of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Any true manifestation of the Kingdom of God must have these characteristics.
They are called fruit because they must be cultivated; they do not just appear overnight. Like every tree must be cultivated in the right environment to produce fruits, the fruit of the Holy Spirit or the character of God will be cultivated in our lives when we maintain a continual connection with the King, continue to learn the constitution of the kingdom (Bible), and yield our lives to the direction of the Governor.
It is our culture to love, be faithful, have self-control, and so on. They should flow naturally.
5. Utilize the power of the Governor (Gifts of the Holy Spirit)
With the baptism in the Holy Spirit comes the Governor’s power with various abilities necessary for promoting God’s kingdom on earth. These abilities are called the gifts of the spirit. While the fruit is the King’s nature and character in us, the gifts are the power of the King.
The fruit is more important than the gifts because the presence of the gifts without the fruit will destroy the possessor.
There are nine gifts the Holy Spirit gives: the word of wisdom (knowing what God is doing), the word of knowledge (insight into what has happened), discernment of spirits, the gift of faith, the working of miracles, gifts of healing, prophecy, gift of tongues, and interpretation of tongues.
- You do not possess these gifts for yourself
- Possessing the gifts does not make anyone superior
- Everyone has something to give because the Holy Spirit releases it to everyone as He desires
- When a gift is upon you, you are not the one doing the work; the Holy Spirit is
- No one has a monopoly on the gifts. The Holy Spirit gives them to and takes them from anyone as He desires
- There is only one Holy Spirit but He manifests through diverse operations of these gifts.
How To Receive The Baptism In The Holy Spirit by Myles Munroe
- Know that the Holy Spirit is a gift to be received not to be earned
- Receive the person of the Holy Spirit through new birth
- Ask the Father-King for the outpouring of His Spirit
- Expect to speak in tongues
- Continue to walk in the spirit
6. Understand the difference between release and emotions
There are two types of power the Holy Spirit releases upon the believer. The first is the authority power, the authority to act on God’s behalf and to access God. This is the power you receive at the new birth (John 1:12).
The second is the dynamite power (Greek: dunamis), the full force or dynamic power of the Holy Spirit that comes upon you at the baptism (Acts 1:8). This is the same power that fuels the operation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Every outpouring of the dynamite power on you triggers a release. Just the same way pressure is built when water flows through a pipe from a tank waiting for the faucets to be turned on and the water to be released, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit puts pressure within you and must cause a release.
However, although the Holy Spirit is causing a stir within you, He does not push you to do anything. You determine how you express the move of the Holy Spirit within you. The Holy Spirit does not make anyone scream, cry, run, or fall.
The stirring of the Holy Spirit tells on your emotions but you are in charge of how you express that emotion. The Bible says the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet. In fact, God demands that we exercise control over how we express the gifts of the Spirit.
Paul gave instructions to the Church at Corinth (1 Corinthians 13:30-33) that although the Holy Spirit’s gifts are working in them, they must ensure they express it with order so the Saints can be edified.
The release of the Holy Spirit is different from the emotion you feel or express. Emotions are the result of chemicals released in our bodies whenever there is a stimulus and the Holy Spirit can be that stimulus. You should not blame your emotional tantrums on the Holy Spirit.
If a sermon is going on in a Church gathering and there is a stirring within you, knowing that screaming will disturb the sermon, you can and should put it under control. The Holy Spirit does not make anyone do anything.
If God takes over your body and does whatever He wants, He’s violating His law because He has given you full control of your will. He can only counsel and instruct, but He cannot make you act. Spiritual gifts do not take over you.
Speaking in Tongues, What and Why Is It? – Myles Munroe
Speaking in tongues is one of the ways and the primary way the release of the Holy Spirit is expressed. Speaking in tongues is not a religious activity.
Language is the most crucial characteristic of a country. Speaking in tongues provides for us the kingdom identity, gives us direct communication with the king, is a sign we are connected with the King, and an evidence of our citizenship in the Kingdom.
Again, you can be baptized in the Holy Spirit and not speak in tongues because the Holy Spirit does not make anyone speak; He gives the utterance but you must open up the release. You do not need to understand what you are saying (1 Corinthians 14:2,14).
Tongues did not end in the upper room; several years after Pentecost, believers continued to be filled with the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues, as recorded in the Scriptures. And considering the role tongues play in the life of Kingdom citizens, speaking in tongues is not really an option; it is a necessity to experience the fullness of the work of the Holy Spirit.
Tongues manifest in two ways. Firstly, you communicate directly with the Father. Secondly, you give Heavenly communication to other kingdom citizens, which must be accompanied by interpretation.
10 Reasons To Speak In Tongues by Myles Munroe
- It is a sign of connection to the kingdom
- For edification
- To remind us of the Governor’s indwelling presence
- To keep our prayers in line with the King’s will
- To stimulate faith
- To keep us free from worldly contamination
- To enable us to pray for the unknown
- To give spiritual refreshing
- To help us in giving thanks
- To bring our tongue under subjection
- However, we must not make tongues some doctrinal, denominational, or religious activity. Their primary purpose is for communication and they are as natural to Kingdom citizens as speaking the English language is to English speakers.
Because you read this far, I want to give you Lifetime Access to over $1,000 worth of mentorship materials from Dr. Myles Munroe on purpose, leadership, success, wealth and the Kingdom. Get instant access to all life-changing materials now!
Olusegun Iyejare is a career coach and certified counselor. He helps individuals discover and maximize their potential to live satisfying lives regardless of obvious limitations holding them back.